Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 2:08 pm
Cardinals DC looking for rookie Jamell Fleming to 'grow up'
Defensive coordinator Ray Horton described Fleming's play early in the year as "spectacular," but thinks the corner since has had "a sense of lull" or "complacency" as of late.
"I think he probably thought there is nothing to this league. I don't have to prepare, I don't have to study, I don't have to challenge myself and you really do every day or you get run by," Horton said.
The Cardinals selected the former Oklahoma Sooner in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, but Horton doesn't want the young cornerback to act like a rookie anymore.
"I need him to grow up, mature, be a professional and in my opinion, he is not at that point yet," Horton said. "We had a long talk yesterday, so it will be interesting to see how he performs."
Fleming said that he had no argument with what Horton told him.
"Him being honest is what I want," Fleming said. "I don't want him to lie to me and tell me something I want to hear."
Horton said he challenged Fleming to be a very good special teams player and wanted to see what the rookie could do on Sunday.
"Whenever they put me in, that's where I am going to make my mark," Fleming said. "I'm just trying to get better."
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.