Cardinals DC looking for rookie Jamell Fleming to 'grow up'
Defensive coordinator Ray Horton described Fleming's play early in the year as "spectacular," but thinks the corner since has had "a sense of lull" or "complacency" as of late.
"I think he probably thought there is nothing to this league. I don't have to prepare, I don't have to study, I don't have to challenge myself and you really do every day or you get run by," Horton said.
The Cardinals selected the former Oklahoma Sooner in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, but Horton doesn't want the young cornerback to act like a rookie anymore.
"I need him to grow up, mature, be a professional and in my opinion, he is not at that point yet," Horton said. "We had a long talk yesterday, so it will be interesting to see how he performs."
Fleming said that he had no argument with what Horton told him.
"Him being honest is what I want," Fleming said. "I don't want him to lie to me and tell me something I want to hear."
Horton said he challenged Fleming to be a very good special teams player and wanted to see what the rookie could do on Sunday.
"Whenever they put me in, that's where I am going to make my mark," Fleming said. "I'm just trying to get better."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.