Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 2:08 pm
Cardinals DC looking for rookie Jamell Fleming to 'grow up'
Defensive coordinator Ray Horton described Fleming's play early in the year as "spectacular," but thinks the corner since has had "a sense of lull" or "complacency" as of late.
"I think he probably thought there is nothing to this league. I don't have to prepare, I don't have to study, I don't have to challenge myself and you really do every day or you get run by," Horton said.
The Cardinals selected the former Oklahoma Sooner in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, but Horton doesn't want the young cornerback to act like a rookie anymore.
"I need him to grow up, mature, be a professional and in my opinion, he is not at that point yet," Horton said. "We had a long talk yesterday, so it will be interesting to see how he performs."
Fleming said that he had no argument with what Horton told him.
"Him being honest is what I want," Fleming said. "I don't want him to lie to me and tell me something I want to hear."
Horton said he challenged Fleming to be a very good special teams player and wanted to see what the rookie could do on Sunday.
"Whenever they put me in, that's where I am going to make my mark," Fleming said. "I'm just trying to get better."
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.