Updated Dec 13, 2012 - 9:08 am
Mock Draft: McShay has Cardinals taking quarterback
That's the boat Arizona Cardinals fans are in. And considering the woeful play the team has gotten from the quarterback position during the skid, fans will be happy with what ESPN/Scouts, Inc. draft expert Todd McShay has Arizona doing in his very early 2013 mock draft.
McShay has the Cardinals tabbing West Virginia signal caller Geno Smith with the eighth overall selection.
There is still a lot of work to do on the top quarterbacks, but the question at this point is how high a team will reach for the top player a the position. It's easy to argue the Cardinals need a quarterback as badly as any team in the NFL right now, and when Smith is on, his mechanics, footwork and confidence make him an effective passer.
Smith got off to a tremendous start in 2012, throwing for 1,996 yards with 24 touchdown passes and zero interceptions during the Mountaineers' 5-0 start. West Virginia finished the season 7-5 and Smith ended up throwing 40 touchdowns and finished fifth in the nation in passing efficiency.
Smith stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 214 pounds -- decent size for an NFL signal caller. McShay currently has Smith ranked as the top quarterback in the 2013 draft crop and 23rd-ranked player overall.
The Cardinals last drafted a quarterback in the first round in 2006, when they nabbed USC's Matt Leinart with the tenth overall pick.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.