Updated Dec 13, 2012 - 9:08 am
Mock Draft: McShay has Cardinals taking quarterback
That's the boat Arizona Cardinals fans are in. And considering the woeful play the team has gotten from the quarterback position during the skid, fans will be happy with what ESPN/Scouts, Inc. draft expert Todd McShay has Arizona doing in his very early 2013 mock draft.
McShay has the Cardinals tabbing West Virginia signal caller Geno Smith with the eighth overall selection.
There is still a lot of work to do on the top quarterbacks, but the question at this point is how high a team will reach for the top player a the position. It's easy to argue the Cardinals need a quarterback as badly as any team in the NFL right now, and when Smith is on, his mechanics, footwork and confidence make him an effective passer.
Smith got off to a tremendous start in 2012, throwing for 1,996 yards with 24 touchdown passes and zero interceptions during the Mountaineers' 5-0 start. West Virginia finished the season 7-5 and Smith ended up throwing 40 touchdowns and finished fifth in the nation in passing efficiency.
Smith stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 214 pounds -- decent size for an NFL signal caller. McShay currently has Smith ranked as the top quarterback in the 2013 draft crop and 23rd-ranked player overall.
The Cardinals last drafted a quarterback in the first round in 2006, when they nabbed USC's Matt Leinart with the tenth overall pick.
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.