Updated Dec 13, 2012 - 9:08 am
Mock Draft: McShay has Cardinals taking quarterback
That's the boat Arizona Cardinals fans are in. And considering the woeful play the team has gotten from the quarterback position during the skid, fans will be happy with what ESPN/Scouts, Inc. draft expert Todd McShay has Arizona doing in his very early 2013 mock draft.
McShay has the Cardinals tabbing West Virginia signal caller Geno Smith with the eighth overall selection.
There is still a lot of work to do on the top quarterbacks, but the question at this point is how high a team will reach for the top player a the position. It's easy to argue the Cardinals need a quarterback as badly as any team in the NFL right now, and when Smith is on, his mechanics, footwork and confidence make him an effective passer.
Smith got off to a tremendous start in 2012, throwing for 1,996 yards with 24 touchdown passes and zero interceptions during the Mountaineers' 5-0 start. West Virginia finished the season 7-5 and Smith ended up throwing 40 touchdowns and finished fifth in the nation in passing efficiency.
Smith stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 214 pounds -- decent size for an NFL signal caller. McShay currently has Smith ranked as the top quarterback in the 2013 draft crop and 23rd-ranked player overall.
The Cardinals last drafted a quarterback in the first round in 2006, when they nabbed USC's Matt Leinart with the tenth overall pick.
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.