Updated Dec 13, 2012 - 9:08 am
Mock Draft: McShay has Cardinals taking quarterback
That's the boat Arizona Cardinals fans are in. And considering the woeful play the team has gotten from the quarterback position during the skid, fans will be happy with what ESPN/Scouts, Inc. draft expert Todd McShay has Arizona doing in his very early 2013 mock draft.
McShay has the Cardinals tabbing West Virginia signal caller Geno Smith with the eighth overall selection.
There is still a lot of work to do on the top quarterbacks, but the question at this point is how high a team will reach for the top player a the position. It's easy to argue the Cardinals need a quarterback as badly as any team in the NFL right now, and when Smith is on, his mechanics, footwork and confidence make him an effective passer.
Smith got off to a tremendous start in 2012, throwing for 1,996 yards with 24 touchdown passes and zero interceptions during the Mountaineers' 5-0 start. West Virginia finished the season 7-5 and Smith ended up throwing 40 touchdowns and finished fifth in the nation in passing efficiency.
Smith stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 214 pounds -- decent size for an NFL signal caller. McShay currently has Smith ranked as the top quarterback in the 2013 draft crop and 23rd-ranked player overall.
The Cardinals last drafted a quarterback in the first round in 2006, when they nabbed USC's Matt Leinart with the tenth overall pick.
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett