Updated Dec 13, 2012 - 2:58 pm
Cardinals place QB Kevin Kolb on injured reserve
The roster move ends Kolb's once-promising season. After losing the starting job to John Skelton in the preseason, Kolb replaced the injured Skelton in an opening day win over Seattle in which he engineered the game-winning touchdown drive.
Kolb would then start the next five games but was injured in a Week 6 loss to the Buffalo Bills.
"It's upsetting and disappointing with where we started and the way that the season kicked off, to be in this position," Kolb said of the move.
For the season, Kolb completed 109-of-183 passes for 1,169 yards, eight touchdowns and three interceptions.
He said he hoped all along to play again this season, but at some point "kind of hit a wall with my rehab", which led to an MRI that showed his ribs were not healing fast enough to get back on the field.
In two seasons with Arizona, Kolb was only able to play in 15 of a possible 32 games due to various injuries, and there are thoughts that he may have played his last game as a Cardinal. He hopes that's not the case.
"I feel like we did some really good things," the quarterback said. "I like the way this locker room is, I really do."
Kolb said he knows the team will have to make some adjustments, but he has no thoughts of playing anywhere else next season.
"My focus is being a part of this team for a long time and being the best player that I can be and getting this place back to an elite level," he said. "I'm going to work my tail off to make sure I get there."
In a corresponding roster move, the Cardinals signed offensive lineman Mike Gibson. Gibson played with the Seattle Seahawks from 2009 to 2011 and was with the Philadelphia Eagles in training camp this season before being released.
He was a sixth round pick of the Eagles in 2008.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.