Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 8:45 am
Analyst: Cardinals 'can't have any confidence in quarterback position'
During his playing career, Ditka played alongside Pro Bowlers Billy Wade (Chicago Bears) and Roger Staubach (Dallas Cowboys), so he admits watching what has transpired with the Arizona Cardinals at the position is not easy to say the least.
In the Cardinals' franchise-worst 58-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks Sunday, Arizona's quarterbacking duo of John Skelton and Ryan Lindley combined to go 19-of-39 for 133 yards and six turnovers.
It also marked the first time since September 13, 2003, the team was off the scoreboard.
"[The Cardinals] can't have any confidence in the quarterback position," Ditka, now an ESPN analyst, told Mike & Mike in the Morning. "I mean these guys don't look very good. I hate to say that about any professional football player because that's their living and they have their families, but they don't look very good at what they're trying to do."
During the Cardinals' nine-game game losing streak -- the franchise's longest since their Chicago days back in 1944 -- the offense has scored six points or less on four occasions.
After Sunday's debacle in Seattle, Arizona is ranked last in the league in points per game (14.3), completion percentage (54.8), yards per attempt (5.6) and passer rating (63.5).
Ditka wouldn't commit to calling out just Skelton or Lindley on Monday, after all he made sure to point out the quarterbacks didn't give up all 58 points to the Seahawks.
"The quarterback didn't play defense," said Ditka. "He was never on defense for one play, and 58 points is a pretty high number. It's a reflection on more than just the quarterback. You better look at the whole football team."
The head coach of the football team, Ken Whisenhunt, seemed dejected more than anything after Sunday's historic loss. Instead of his typical coach-speak, the coach opted for an open apology.
When asked what advice he'd offered up to Whisenhunt coach-to-coach, Ditka was at a loss for words.
"I don't know what to say," said Ditka. "I guess you pick up the pieces and start all over again."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!