Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 8:45 am
Analyst: Cardinals 'can't have any confidence in quarterback position'
During his playing career, Ditka played alongside Pro Bowlers Billy Wade (Chicago Bears) and Roger Staubach (Dallas Cowboys), so he admits watching what has transpired with the Arizona Cardinals at the position is not easy to say the least.
In the Cardinals' franchise-worst 58-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks Sunday, Arizona's quarterbacking duo of John Skelton and Ryan Lindley combined to go 19-of-39 for 133 yards and six turnovers.
It also marked the first time since September 13, 2003, the team was off the scoreboard.
"[The Cardinals] can't have any confidence in the quarterback position," Ditka, now an ESPN analyst, told Mike & Mike in the Morning. "I mean these guys don't look very good. I hate to say that about any professional football player because that's their living and they have their families, but they don't look very good at what they're trying to do."
During the Cardinals' nine-game game losing streak -- the franchise's longest since their Chicago days back in 1944 -- the offense has scored six points or less on four occasions.
After Sunday's debacle in Seattle, Arizona is ranked last in the league in points per game (14.3), completion percentage (54.8), yards per attempt (5.6) and passer rating (63.5).
Ditka wouldn't commit to calling out just Skelton or Lindley on Monday, after all he made sure to point out the quarterbacks didn't give up all 58 points to the Seahawks.
"The quarterback didn't play defense," said Ditka. "He was never on defense for one play, and 58 points is a pretty high number. It's a reflection on more than just the quarterback. You better look at the whole football team."
The head coach of the football team, Ken Whisenhunt, seemed dejected more than anything after Sunday's historic loss. Instead of his typical coach-speak, the coach opted for an open apology.
When asked what advice he'd offered up to Whisenhunt coach-to-coach, Ditka was at a loss for words.
"I don't know what to say," said Ditka. "I guess you pick up the pieces and start all over again."
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up