Updated Dec 7, 2012 - 5:25 pm
Whisenhunt: 'No question' Daryl Washington's a Pro Bowler
While the Cardinals' eight-game losing streak has likely detracted national attention away from the team's star linebacker, head coach Ken Whisenhunt wasn't afraid to do his own grandstanding for Washington this week.
"I think so," Whisenhunt said when asked if Washington should be headed to Hawaii at season's end. "I don't think there's any question about that. I think about how lucky we were to get his contract extended with the way he's played."
With one sack over his final four games, Washington would become the first player in franchise history to record 10 sacks and 100 tackles in a single season. Washington would become just the fourth inside linebacker since 1985 to achieve the feat.
"Hopefully he gets that," said Whisenhunt in reference to the rare accomplishment. "We've seen signs of it, him building up to it, and he's developed into an outstanding football player. There is no question about it."
Whisenhunt said the organization was impressed with his speed when they selected him out of TCU in the second round of the 2010 draft. However with maturity, the Cardinals coach said he's using that speed to be a weapon all over the field.
"I think his understanding of the defense [is better]," said Whisenhunt. "He now understands his speed and it makes him tough."
It should be noted that Whisenhunt wasn't the only one stamping Washington's ticket to Honolulu. In their Pro Bowl Cheat Sheet released earlier this week, ProFootballFocus.com lobbied for Washington to start alongside Willis for the NFC.
In addition to his high sack and tackle totals, Washington has one interception, one fumble recovered and two fumbles forced in 2012.
Pro Bowl voting concludes on December 17, with an announcement of the two teams set to come nine days later on December 26 at 5:00 p.m. Arizona time.
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 19
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald back at practice, must pass one more test to play
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson 'fired up' about opportunity to play in must-win game
- Arizona Cardinals running back Andre Ellington: Coach Arians 'using me at perfect times'
- ProFootballFocus: Cardinals' Andre Ellington excels after contact, Rashard Mendenhall not so much
- Michael Bidwell, President AZ Cardinals - Friday December 20The AZ Cardinals President discusses the upcoming game in Seattle.
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL analyst - Friday December 20The Cardinals found a way to beat the Titans on Sunday.
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday December 19The challenge of playing in Seattle and how he is happy Coach Arians has his back.
- Warren Moon, Seahawks Color Analyst - Thursday December 19Warren Moon, Seahawks Color Analyst
- Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo - Tuesday December 17Cardinal Wide Receiver Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo.