Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 2:31 pm
John Skelton will start at QB for Cardinals at Seattle
Just a week after Ken Whisenhunt stayed with rookie quarterback Ryan Lindley in a rough performance against the New York Jets, the Arizona Cardinals head coach is swapping signal callers once again. Third-year pro John Skelton will start Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks at Century Link Field.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin tweeted out the news:
Whiz says Skelton will start Sunday— Kyndra de St. Aubin (@Kyndra620) December 5, 2012
Skelton hasn't played since being replaced by Lindley in the first half of a loss at Atlanta November 18. The Fordham product, who won the starting job in training camp, has started five games this season, completing 98-of-179 passes for 1,058 yards with two touchdown passes and five interceptions.
"There's a number of reasons that go into it, but John is going to start for us this week up in Seattle, and we'll go from there," Whisenhunt said.
The head coach was vague about the reasons why he's switching back to Skelton.
"Some of it has to do with Seattle -- playing up there, having played against them once already this year," he said. "There are a lot of factors, but I'm not going into each one of them."
Skelton suffered an ankle injury in the season opener against Seattle at University of Phoenix Stadium and didn't see the field again until Week 6 against Buffalo when Kevin Kolb suffered a rib injury.
Skelton started the next four games before being replaced by Lindley.
"It's another opportunity, you can't take any opportunity for granted if it comes at the beginning of the season, the end of the season, whether you're losing or when you're winning, you just have to take advantage of every opportunity you get," Skelton said after practice Wednesday.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.