Updated Dec 4, 2012 - 12:15 pm
ESPN analyst says Fitzgerald is frustrated, but 'sold out' for Cardinals
Carter caught 1,101 passes over his 16-year career, which was spent with the Philadelphia Eagles, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins.
He was one of the best receivers in the game, though he has not caught a pass since retiring after the 2002 season.
And yet, Fitzgerald caught just one more pass than Carter did this past Sunday.
"He is not our typical wide receiver but he's very frustrated, though," Carter told ESPN's Mike & Mike Tuesday morning.
Fitzgerald is having one of the worst seasons of his career, and is on pace to catch just 75 passes for 867 yards and five touchdowns. He's been held to five catches over the last three games -- on 26 targets -- and his team is riding an eight-game losing streak.
"There's no greater competitor in the National Football League than Larry Fitzgerald," Carter said. "There is no wide receiver who likes to look good better than Larry Fitzgerald.
"There is no guy who wants to get the ball and loves seeing himself get the ball to affect the overall outcome of the game."
He has been unable to do that this season, largely through no fault of his own. Fitzgerald has caught passes from three different quarterbacks in 2012 as the Cardinals have searched for someone to replace Kurt Warner.
There is no end in sight to the quest, and Carter said Fitzgerald knew this was possible. That said, the analyst noted his friend is not looking to leave the desert.
"He is very, very frustrated, but he is sold out for the Cardinals," Carter said. "That's his team, that's where he's going to make his home, that's where he's going to live his life."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!