Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 4:30 pm
ESPN insider expects Ray Horton to get head coaching interviews
Horton has helped transform one of the league's worst defenses into one of its best over the last two seasons, and a feat like that is not likely to go unrecognized or unrewarded.
There is some thought that perhaps the Cardinals, should they decide to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt, may look to promote the second-year coordinator.
If Whisenhunt stays, though, given the fact that Horton interviewed with the St. Louis Rams for their top job before the team chose Jeff Fisher, it stands to reason his name will be brought up when other openings arise.
"I think he can get one or two interviews, which I think is merited," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "I don't necessarily know if he's, at this stage, ready to get a head coaching job."
"Clearly he's put himself in a position to get the interview," Clayton said. "Ray will go and use those interviews as a good education so that he can gear himself and be ready.
"I still remember talking to a lot of young coaches and the big thing is OK, it's nice to get a job, but it's better to get a job when you're ready to be the head coach."
Clayton said Horton has learned very fast, as he was a position coach as recently as two years ago.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.