Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 4:30 pm
ESPN insider expects Ray Horton to get head coaching interviews
Horton has helped transform one of the league's worst defenses into one of its best over the last two seasons, and a feat like that is not likely to go unrecognized or unrewarded.
There is some thought that perhaps the Cardinals, should they decide to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt, may look to promote the second-year coordinator.
If Whisenhunt stays, though, given the fact that Horton interviewed with the St. Louis Rams for their top job before the team chose Jeff Fisher, it stands to reason his name will be brought up when other openings arise.
"I think he can get one or two interviews, which I think is merited," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "I don't necessarily know if he's, at this stage, ready to get a head coaching job."
"Clearly he's put himself in a position to get the interview," Clayton said. "Ray will go and use those interviews as a good education so that he can gear himself and be ready.
"I still remember talking to a lot of young coaches and the big thing is OK, it's nice to get a job, but it's better to get a job when you're ready to be the head coach."
Clayton said Horton has learned very fast, as he was a position coach as recently as two years ago.
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.