Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 4:30 pm
ESPN insider expects Ray Horton to get head coaching interviews
Horton has helped transform one of the league's worst defenses into one of its best over the last two seasons, and a feat like that is not likely to go unrecognized or unrewarded.
There is some thought that perhaps the Cardinals, should they decide to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt, may look to promote the second-year coordinator.
If Whisenhunt stays, though, given the fact that Horton interviewed with the St. Louis Rams for their top job before the team chose Jeff Fisher, it stands to reason his name will be brought up when other openings arise.
"I think he can get one or two interviews, which I think is merited," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "I don't necessarily know if he's, at this stage, ready to get a head coaching job."
"Clearly he's put himself in a position to get the interview," Clayton said. "Ray will go and use those interviews as a good education so that he can gear himself and be ready.
"I still remember talking to a lot of young coaches and the big thing is OK, it's nice to get a job, but it's better to get a job when you're ready to be the head coach."
Clayton said Horton has learned very fast, as he was a position coach as recently as two years ago.
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.