Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 2:27 pm
Cards' defense continues to earn praise
November 29, 2012: Rex Ryan the lastest in a long line to speak highly of the defense
It started Week 1, and it's continued each week thereafter: NFL head coaches praising the Cardinals defense when speaking to the local media on the weekly conference call.
"They're really a problem," Seattle's Pete Carroll said.
"They're impressive," Miami's Joe Philbin said.
"They will hit you," Buffalo's Chan Gailey said.
"They create havoc," Minnesota's Leslie Frazier said.
Call it coachspeak if you want -- Bill Belichick rattled off nine different Cardinals defenders during his chat with reporters, but the message is always the same: praise and respect for one of the top defenses in the league.
"You see one of the best units in the National Football League is what you see (on film)," Andy Reid said before the Eagles visited University of Phoenix Stadium. "It's hard to find weaknesses in them."
The Cardinals defense has been one of the few bright spots in a season growing dim with each passing Sunday.
This week the unit was again a hot topic when Jets head coach Rex Ryan held his conference call:
"I look at the Arizona Cardinals, you look at that defense, and it's one of the best defenses in the National Football League and an extremely talented group," he said unsolicited. "To me, you have four or five Pro-Bowl players on that defense. There are two big guys up front with (Darnell) Dockett and (Calais) Campbell, and then you have Patrick Peterson, that might be one of the rarest athletes I think I've ever seen."
It's this kind of talk -- from his peers, that has defensive coordinator Ray Horton among the top names on the list of future head coach candidates.
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.