Updated Nov 27, 2012 - 2:11 pm
Cardinals Horton on Peter King's list of hot assistants
Every week King issues his Monday Morning Quarterback column which is, quite simply, a must read for NFL fans everywhere.
But in the course of reading his 8,500-word epic, maybe missed the fact that King has listed his "top ten NFL assistants who will get sniffs for head coaching jobs in the league next year."
Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton showed up on the list -- at number eight.
It's somewhat surprising that Horton is that low on the list. The St. Louis Rams interviewed Horton last offseason for their vacant head coaching job before choosing Jeff Fisher for the post.
And despite Arizona's current seven-game losing streak, Horton's defense has been the strong point of the team, ranking seventh in the league in yardage allowed and 11th in points allowed.
Interestingly, another familiar name appears on the list ahead of Horton. Former ASU head coach Dirk Koetter, now the offensive coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons, appears at number five.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.