Arizona Cardinals to stick with Ryan Lindley at quarterback
Two of the interceptions were returned for touchdowns, and while there were some positive moments, Lindley very much showed he is a work-in-progress as far as being ready to lead an NFL team.
However, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday if Kevin Kolb is unable to return from his injury Sunday, the former San Diego State signal caller will once again get the nod.
"We stay with Ryan," the coach said. "Let's start the thing off by saying you can't have those interceptions, but in the first half I thought that he did a really nice job.
"He moved in the pocket, was decisive, managed it, made some good throws."
Whisenhunt pointed to the team's three scoring drives in the first 30 minutes of football, which saw the Cardinals take a 17-14 lead into the intermission.
"I felt that we did a lot of good things," he said.
Things went south in the second half, though, as the Rams dialed up the pressure and made Lindley try to beat them with his arm.
That he couldn't Sunday is understandable, and the coach said no one was more upset about the mistakes than the quarterback himself.
"One of the things that you have to learn about a quarterback is that when you get into those heat of the moment type things how you've got to respond," Whisenhunt said.
The mistakes, the coach added, are just part of the growing pains, and it is important to see what Lindley does in a real game compared to just working in practice.
"You understand with a young player," he said. "Look, we've got a lot of young players that are playing. They make mistakes.
"Sometimes they're not magnified like they are with the quarterback because he's got the ball, and that's what he's got to understand."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.