Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 6:16 pm
Todd Heap believes in Ryan Lindley, team's other QBs
Still, he's had a good look at what's been going on this season, including the offense's continued struggles.
Things may have come to a head last week when head coach Ken Whisenhunt benched John Skelton in favor of rookie Ryan Lindley, but the move, while shocking to some, didn't really surprise Heap.
In fact, the veteran is pretty impressed with the sixth-round pick from San Diego State.
"He's a confident guy, he's a guy that has come in and gained a grasp of the offense very quickly," Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good presence in the huddle, he's got a good presence on the field.
"He makes some tough throws."
Heap said it's tough for a quarterback to come in and play well after not receiving the starter's share of practice reps leading up to a game, and even though Lindley struggled to the tune of completing just 9-of-20 passes for 64 yards, he's confident the player has a bright future.
That's not to say Heap believes Lindley should be the team's starter going forward. The former ASU star said he still believes in Skelton and Kevin Kolb, but added it's simply a matter of making the plays that are there.
"We talk about this almost every week, it's about executing the plays that are called and getting the job done when the team's counting on you," he said. "So that's what it boils down to and you've got to do it more times than you don't."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!