Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 6:16 pm
Todd Heap believes in Ryan Lindley, team's other QBs
Still, he's had a good look at what's been going on this season, including the offense's continued struggles.
Things may have come to a head last week when head coach Ken Whisenhunt benched John Skelton in favor of rookie Ryan Lindley, but the move, while shocking to some, didn't really surprise Heap.
In fact, the veteran is pretty impressed with the sixth-round pick from San Diego State.
"He's a confident guy, he's a guy that has come in and gained a grasp of the offense very quickly," Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good presence in the huddle, he's got a good presence on the field.
"He makes some tough throws."
Heap said it's tough for a quarterback to come in and play well after not receiving the starter's share of practice reps leading up to a game, and even though Lindley struggled to the tune of completing just 9-of-20 passes for 64 yards, he's confident the player has a bright future.
That's not to say Heap believes Lindley should be the team's starter going forward. The former ASU star said he still believes in Skelton and Kevin Kolb, but added it's simply a matter of making the plays that are there.
"We talk about this almost every week, it's about executing the plays that are called and getting the job done when the team's counting on you," he said. "So that's what it boils down to and you've got to do it more times than you don't."
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.