Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 6:16 pm
Todd Heap believes in Ryan Lindley, team's other QBs
Still, he's had a good look at what's been going on this season, including the offense's continued struggles.
Things may have come to a head last week when head coach Ken Whisenhunt benched John Skelton in favor of rookie Ryan Lindley, but the move, while shocking to some, didn't really surprise Heap.
In fact, the veteran is pretty impressed with the sixth-round pick from San Diego State.
"He's a confident guy, he's a guy that has come in and gained a grasp of the offense very quickly," Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good presence in the huddle, he's got a good presence on the field.
"He makes some tough throws."
Heap said it's tough for a quarterback to come in and play well after not receiving the starter's share of practice reps leading up to a game, and even though Lindley struggled to the tune of completing just 9-of-20 passes for 64 yards, he's confident the player has a bright future.
That's not to say Heap believes Lindley should be the team's starter going forward. The former ASU star said he still believes in Skelton and Kevin Kolb, but added it's simply a matter of making the plays that are there.
"We talk about this almost every week, it's about executing the plays that are called and getting the job done when the team's counting on you," he said. "So that's what it boils down to and you've got to do it more times than you don't."
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.