Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 6:16 pm
Todd Heap believes in Ryan Lindley, team's other QBs
Still, he's had a good look at what's been going on this season, including the offense's continued struggles.
Things may have come to a head last week when head coach Ken Whisenhunt benched John Skelton in favor of rookie Ryan Lindley, but the move, while shocking to some, didn't really surprise Heap.
In fact, the veteran is pretty impressed with the sixth-round pick from San Diego State.
"He's a confident guy, he's a guy that has come in and gained a grasp of the offense very quickly," Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good presence in the huddle, he's got a good presence on the field.
"He makes some tough throws."
Heap said it's tough for a quarterback to come in and play well after not receiving the starter's share of practice reps leading up to a game, and even though Lindley struggled to the tune of completing just 9-of-20 passes for 64 yards, he's confident the player has a bright future.
That's not to say Heap believes Lindley should be the team's starter going forward. The former ASU star said he still believes in Skelton and Kevin Kolb, but added it's simply a matter of making the plays that are there.
"We talk about this almost every week, it's about executing the plays that are called and getting the job done when the team's counting on you," he said. "So that's what it boils down to and you've got to do it more times than you don't."
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Arizona Cardinals' Alex Okafor's transition to linebacker is complete
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi