Updated Nov 8, 2012 - 3:00 pm
Decision '12: Arizona Sports presidential election
OK, maybe the last one will linger for a bit.
At any rate, we at ArizonaSports.com thought it would be a good idea to name a president for the local sports scene. However, there are plenty of qualified candidates, as each team gets to nominate someone. And since none of them returned our calls or even recognized this as a real thing (ouch), we decided to come up with the list on our own.
As we're sure you already understand, it's important to look at various factors when making a decision like this one. After all, this may be the most important election in our website's history.
From the Big Red Party: Larry Fitzgerald
Why not Larry? Larry Fitzgerald may be doing well for himself, but what has he done for everyone else? His team has a losing record this season and is just 17-24 over the last two-and-a-half years. That would be considered the opposite of "progress", and it appears Mr. Fitzgerald may not have the answers or ability to fix the problems.
From the Sedona Red Party: Kirk Gibson
Why not Kirk? Is Mr. Gibson able to get the most out of what he's got? The 2012 Diamondbacks were supposed to contend for a spot in the World Series, but instead spent most of the season contending with the .500 mark. With fewer than three full seasons as the boss, Gibson is not really the most experienced candidate around. He's reportedly been at odds with some of his best players at times, and a "my way or the highway" approach may not be what this state needs from its leadership.
From the Planet Orange Party: Alvin Gentry
Why not Alvin? Well, is Mr. Gentry even going to be around next year? His contract is set to expire following the season, and continued struggles from his team could lead to it not being renewed. Besides, is he really a successful leader? Only twice has the guy led a team to the playoffs, and his career mark as a head coach is a losing one. His track record kind of speaks for itself, doesn't it?
From the Fear the Fork Party: Todd Graham
Why not Todd? Well, Mr. Graham is not exactly a model of stability or loyalty. He bolted Pittsburgh after just one season, and the way his departure was handled led many to question his character. His Sun Devils, while seemingly improved, are just 5-4 this season. Last year's Sun Devils were 6-3 through nine games, so one could argue that they've actually been worse under Graham. And while the coach may speak a good game, he has yet to win a big one.
From the Currently Has Time to Party Party: Shane Doan
Why not Shane? Well for starters, you may not even see Mr. Doan for a while. His league is currently locked out, and many feel the season will be lost. Can we really have an absentee president? Furthermore, at 35 years of age Mr. Doan is not exactly a spry chicken, and one could argue he's been in decline the last few years. He just received a new four year, $21.2 million contract, which may seem like a lot for a guy who a) is on the downside of his career, and b) is not even playing right now. In these uncertain times, can we really elect someone making so much for doing so little?
From the Bear Down Party: Sean Miller
Why not Sean? Is Miller planning on sticking around for a while? He flirted with Maryland after guiding the Wildcats to the Elite 8, with the rumor being how he preferred to live on the East Coast. Then again, would Miller be a real loss? He's guided the Wildcats to one NCAA Tournament in three seasons, and the school's 25-year streak of NCAA Tournament appearances ended on his watch. Miller's had a high number of top recruits transfer or simply leave the program, and quite possibly does not get the most out of the talent he's assembled.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.