Whisenhunt: 'We'll have to see' if leadership is strong in Cardinals' locker room
When things are going well, as they did for the Arizona Cardinals during the first four weeks of the 2012 season, it's easy to mask potential problems.
When things go south, however, covering up those problems becomes a much more arduous task.
During the Cardinals' current four-game losing streak, a litany of issues between the white lines have been exposed, whether it's a lack of pass protection, consistency in the run game or personnel depth.
But now met with a hard dose of adversity, Ken Whisenhunt and Co. are presented with two paths heading into the second half of their schedule. The Redbirds can either allow their glaring on-field issues to seep into the locker room causing internal turmoil or unite around a common goal to get back to winning football.
In order to follow the latter path, though, Whisenhunt admits it requires strong leadership from the experienced members of his squad.
Whether they have it or not, well, the head coach didn't sound so sure speaking with Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday.
"Well, you know we'll find out," Whisenhunt said when asked about whether the Cardinals have the type of veteran presence to climb out of their mid-season hole. "I think we have a bunch of good young men, a bunch of good veterans and a bunch of good young players."
Although the six-year head coach was somewhat noncommittal on the topic of his team's makeup and their ability to bounce back from a rather futile month of football, Whisenhunt was adamant that he still believes his players have the same desire to succeed as they did four or five weeks ago.
"They want to win," said Whisenhunt. "Look, we're hurting too. I know our fans are upset, but don't think for a minute that our players and our coaches aren't upset and that we aren't hurting."
Unfortunately, the Cardinals don't have much time to lick their wounds following Monday night's 24-3 blowout loss to San Francisco. Next up for Arizona is a weekend trip up to historic Lambeau Field and a date with reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers and the streaking Green Bay Packers.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.