Updated Oct 26, 2012 - 3:15 pm
Warner: Manning 'would have struggled' with Cardinals
Former Cardinals quarterback and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday that he thinks Manning is playing great football, but he may not have done so for the Cardinals.
"I think he would have been successful to a degree, but we got to be realistic," Warner said. "When you are getting hit and sacked and quick pressure like the quarterbacks here, it is going to be tough for anybody to succeed at an extremely high level."
The Cardinals have given up a league-worst 35 sacks and their quarterbacks seem to be running for their lives every play.
"He would have struggled like any quarterback due to the number of pressures and quick pressure that the Cardinals' offensive line has given up this year," Warner said.
Manning has been impressive in his first season with the Broncos. The veteran ranks second in the league with a passer rating of 105.0 and is tied for fourth with 14 touchdown passes.
"I don't think there is any way he would have been as successful (in Arizona) as he is going to be somewhere else where the offensive line is better," Warner said.
However even though Manning may not have been as individually successful in Arizona, Warner thinks the team would have benefited from having the four-time MVP.
"With the way the defense was playing, do I believe that Peyton Manning could have manufactured some points and win some of these games that he didn't win? Yeah," Warner said.
Cardinals quarterbacks have not been impressive so far this season.
Kevin Kolb and John Skelton average just 196 passing yards per game and have a total of only six passing touchdowns.
"Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning, he would have been more successful than what they have here because he is a great quarterback," Warner said.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.