Updated Oct 25, 2012 - 4:56 pm
Arizona Cardinals offense showing improvement
You may laugh at the notion, but check out the facts.
In the Cards' first five games, Arizona averaged 273 total yards per game, 4.22 yards per play and 16 first downs.
In the Cards' last two games, Arizona has averaged 344 yards per game, 4.95 yards per play and 19.5 first downs.
So while the scoring numbers aren't where you would like them to be, the offense is headed in the right direction. It's gone from almost NFL-worst to below average. They currently rank second-to-last in total yards per game at 293.4, compared to the 344 yards per game from the last two, which would rank 21st.
Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt discussed the improvement and need for all aspects of the offense to come together.
"I think we've had a lot of different players at different times because of injuries," Whisenhunt said. "Fullbacks, quarterbacks, linemen, sometimes it takes time to get some form of continuity."
Whisenhunt also pointed to the Cardinals shooting themselves in the foot, hindering their efforts to put points on the board.
"We've made too many mistakes that's kept us from scoring," he said. "We've turned the ball over countless times on the plus side of the 50-yard line.
"Our guys are working at it, our goal is to continue to try and get better. Hopefully it will start meshing, be nice if it did Monday night."
It won't be an easy task against a San Francisco 49ers team allowing 14 points per game and who has given up fewer than seven points in three of its last four contests.
It's understandably frustrating to watch a team struggle to get into the end zone week are after week, but sometimes you have to examine the silver lining.
As a team you always want to be improving and from the Cardinals perspective even though it's not much, at least their offense isn't worse.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!