Updated Oct 14, 2012 - 7:24 pm
Kevin Kolb leaves Arizona Cardinals game with injury
With just more than two minutes remaining and the Cardinals trailing 16-13, quarterback Kevin Kolb was sacked on a broken play. He was slow to get up and ultimately did not return to the game.
"It's Kevin's chest and ribs," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said after the game. "We didn't feel anything. We are getting him checked just to see if there is some type of crack that we don't see."
Kolb, who had completed 14-of-26 passes for 128 yards with one touchdown and one interception, also ran for 66 yards. He was replaced by John Skelton, who promptly led the Cardinals to a game-tying field goal as well as a chance to win the game in regulation.
It was rather similar to how things went down in Week 1 against the Seahawks, when Kolb replaced an injured Skelton and led Arizona to a win. Except, the Cardinals lost this time.
A dropped screen pass was followed by an incredibly costly interception from Skelton in the overtime period, as the pick and return directly led to the Cardinals' demise.
All-in-all, it was a rather interesting day for Skelton.
"That was quite a roller coaster of emotions," the QB said.
Skelton finished the day completing just two of 10 passes for 45 yards and that interception.
Whisenhunt said he was not sure of what Skelton was looking at when he threw the interception, but commented on how the QB gave his team a chance to win.
"It's unfortunate that it came out that way because John made a big throw to Larry (Fitzgerald) to put us in position to kick the field goal to win it," he said.
Kolb's status is uncertain, it's possible the player who started the season will once again get the nod when Arizona heads to Minnesota to play the Vikings next Sunday. But that remains to be seen.
"We're kind of worried, he's our guy," Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington said of Kolb being hurt. "He's the starting quarterback, the guy played phenomenal today.
"He made some great plays with his feet and his arm, so for him to go down, hopefully he's alright."
- PFT: All signs point to' free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!