Updated Oct 10, 2012 - 7:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb has confidence in running backs
The Cardinals head into Week 6 of the NFL season with a little less depth at the running back position than when they started in 2012. Both Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams are out for the long haul. Wells was put on the injured reserve/designated to return list until November 25th and Ryan Williams is out for the season with a shoulder injury.
Starting quarterback Kevin Kolb knows not having Williams will hurt the team but still has confidence in his remaining running backs.
"We knew in camp that we had a lot of guys that could compete at that position. That was going to be one that was going to be tough to make some decisions at and now everybody's getting a shot," Kolb said. "So everybody gets a chance to show what they have."
The Cardinals will turn to LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell and Alfonso Smith. Stephens-Howling is returning from a hip injury, Powell was impressive in the preseason and Smith was cut from the team but resigned a couple weeks ago.
"Well we have faith in whoever's back there," Kolb said. "It is a big blow to lose [Williams], especially somebody you see gaining confidence each game but again, we have confidence in the rest of the guys."
If these running backs want to take advantage of their moment in the spotlight, this week against the Bills would be the time to do it. The Buffalo defense allowed 621 total yards against the 49ers last week, including 311 on the ground.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.