Updated Oct 10, 2012 - 7:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb has confidence in running backs
The Cardinals head into Week 6 of the NFL season with a little less depth at the running back position than when they started in 2012. Both Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams are out for the long haul. Wells was put on the injured reserve/designated to return list until November 25th and Ryan Williams is out for the season with a shoulder injury.
Starting quarterback Kevin Kolb knows not having Williams will hurt the team but still has confidence in his remaining running backs.
"We knew in camp that we had a lot of guys that could compete at that position. That was going to be one that was going to be tough to make some decisions at and now everybody's getting a shot," Kolb said. "So everybody gets a chance to show what they have."
The Cardinals will turn to LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell and Alfonso Smith. Stephens-Howling is returning from a hip injury, Powell was impressive in the preseason and Smith was cut from the team but resigned a couple weeks ago.
"Well we have faith in whoever's back there," Kolb said. "It is a big blow to lose [Williams], especially somebody you see gaining confidence each game but again, we have confidence in the rest of the guys."
If these running backs want to take advantage of their moment in the spotlight, this week against the Bills would be the time to do it. The Buffalo defense allowed 621 total yards against the 49ers last week, including 311 on the ground.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.