Updated Sep 21, 2012 - 5:52 pm
Kurt Warner: ‘Get Number 11 the ball'
After quarterback John Skelton was injured in Week 1, Kevin Kolb has stepped in and the Cardinals find themselves ranked 30th in total offense, averaging just 249 yards per game.
Former Cardinals quarterback and current NFL analyst Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf what he thinks the offense needs to do to get going.
"They have to get number 11 (Larry Fitzgerald) the ball," Warner said. "This team and the way they are built, 11 has got to get more targets and has got to get the ball."
Warner referred to Fitzgerald as the team's "dynamic guy" and he feels that the coaches and Kolb need to "design things to get him the ball."
He said that outside of Fitzgerald, the wide receiver and tight end positions have struggled to win consistently.
"Until they get that (consistency), I think it is going to be very, very difficult in the passing game because teams will try to take Larry out of the game, like they have the two weeks," Warner said.
Tight end Todd Heap has been strong this season, hauling in eight receptions for 94 yards. However, it hasn't seemed to take away any of the defense's attention from Fitzgerald yet.
"Can this offense make plays, be consistent and score points without having number 11 involved," asked Warner. "I'm not sure. That's my big question with this offense. How they can generate that and how Kevin can utilize those other players moving through the season?"
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.