Updated Sep 19, 2012 - 9:45 am
Arizona Cardinals' DC Horton on successful Patriots game plan
The Arizona Cardinals defense is garnering praise across the spectrum for the way they handled Tom Brady and the powerhouse New England Patriots in their stunning upset win Sunday.
The man responsible for the transformation is defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who is putting together an exemplary resume for a head coaching position in the NFL, with his brilliant strategic game plans.
Horton joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday and talked about the plan he crafted specifically for Brady and the Patriots.
"Everything that we did was based on what had they did last year and what we thought they were going to do and a lot of it we took them out of their game plan so they didn't do a ton of it," Horton said. "[The plan] was to confuse Tom Brady, to come up with some things he hasn't seen before, because it is different."
Brady only had one touchdown in the Patriots loss, and admittedly was caught off guard.
"I heard through Jay Feely that he talked to Tom Brady after the game and Tom said, 'I have no idea what you guys are doing', and so it did work," Horton said.
But don't expect to see the Cardinals rest on their laurels following their success against New England. Horton has already formulated a new game plan for Sunday's game against the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles.
"I am so deep into Philadelphia right now. I forgot we played New England and Tom Brady and those guys," Horton said. "Our full attention is to Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles."
Horton may have forgotten about Brady, but it's safe to say the Patriots franchise quarterback will not soon forget the Arizona Cardinals.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.