Updated Sep 19, 2012 - 9:45 am
Arizona Cardinals' DC Horton on successful Patriots game plan
The Arizona Cardinals defense is garnering praise across the spectrum for the way they handled Tom Brady and the powerhouse New England Patriots in their stunning upset win Sunday.
The man responsible for the transformation is defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who is putting together an exemplary resume for a head coaching position in the NFL, with his brilliant strategic game plans.
Horton joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday and talked about the plan he crafted specifically for Brady and the Patriots.
"Everything that we did was based on what had they did last year and what we thought they were going to do and a lot of it we took them out of their game plan so they didn't do a ton of it," Horton said. "[The plan] was to confuse Tom Brady, to come up with some things he hasn't seen before, because it is different."
Brady only had one touchdown in the Patriots loss, and admittedly was caught off guard.
"I heard through Jay Feely that he talked to Tom Brady after the game and Tom said, 'I have no idea what you guys are doing', and so it did work," Horton said.
But don't expect to see the Cardinals rest on their laurels following their success against New England. Horton has already formulated a new game plan for Sunday's game against the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles.
"I am so deep into Philadelphia right now. I forgot we played New England and Tom Brady and those guys," Horton said. "Our full attention is to Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles."
Horton may have forgotten about Brady, but it's safe to say the Patriots franchise quarterback will not soon forget the Arizona Cardinals.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.