Updated Sep 19, 2012 - 9:45 am
Arizona Cardinals' DC Horton on successful Patriots game plan
The Arizona Cardinals defense is garnering praise across the spectrum for the way they handled Tom Brady and the powerhouse New England Patriots in their stunning upset win Sunday.
The man responsible for the transformation is defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who is putting together an exemplary resume for a head coaching position in the NFL, with his brilliant strategic game plans.
Horton joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday and talked about the plan he crafted specifically for Brady and the Patriots.
"Everything that we did was based on what had they did last year and what we thought they were going to do and a lot of it we took them out of their game plan so they didn't do a ton of it," Horton said. "[The plan] was to confuse Tom Brady, to come up with some things he hasn't seen before, because it is different."
Brady only had one touchdown in the Patriots loss, and admittedly was caught off guard.
"I heard through Jay Feely that he talked to Tom Brady after the game and Tom said, 'I have no idea what you guys are doing', and so it did work," Horton said.
But don't expect to see the Cardinals rest on their laurels following their success against New England. Horton has already formulated a new game plan for Sunday's game against the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles.
"I am so deep into Philadelphia right now. I forgot we played New England and Tom Brady and those guys," Horton said. "Our full attention is to Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles."
Horton may have forgotten about Brady, but it's safe to say the Patriots franchise quarterback will not soon forget the Arizona Cardinals.
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- John Brown is like…
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.