Updated Sep 14, 2012 - 2:19 pm
Horton: Patriots a 'measuring stick game' for Cards
"It's going to be a fantastic challenge for our guys," Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "They are well-coached, well-disciplined, they don't make mistakes and they don't beat themselves."
Horton feels that this game will teach his team a lot about where they stand.
"It's really just a measuring stick game of where are we," Horton said. "That team up there have been a perennial Super Bowl and AFC East champions, day in and day out. We are trying to build that here."
Horton worked with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2004 to 2010 and during that time he coached in many "epic" battles against New England.
During that time, Horton has become familiar with the Patriots' style of play and feels that his defense knows what to expect.
"They are not going to surprise us, they are not going to fool us," Horton said. "They are being well-respected in our building going up there."
New England's simple style of play makes them easy to prepare for, but it is also what makes them tough to beat.
"They just figure we will beat you because we are better than you and we know what we are doing," Horton said. "You got to disrupt them, you've got to hit them, you've got to hit the quarterback. If you don't make it uncomfortable for them, it's like seven-on-seven."
- Arizona Cardinals don't want to be NFC West's 'stepchild' any longer
- Arizona Cardinals will have Andre Ellington back on the field vs. Rams
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 6
- A different kind of measuring stick awaits Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' coach expects 'questionable' Carson Palmer to play Sunday vs. St. Louis Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?