Updated Sep 14, 2012 - 2:19 pm
Horton: Patriots a 'measuring stick game' for Cards
"It's going to be a fantastic challenge for our guys," Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "They are well-coached, well-disciplined, they don't make mistakes and they don't beat themselves."
Horton feels that this game will teach his team a lot about where they stand.
"It's really just a measuring stick game of where are we," Horton said. "That team up there have been a perennial Super Bowl and AFC East champions, day in and day out. We are trying to build that here."
Horton worked with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2004 to 2010 and during that time he coached in many "epic" battles against New England.
During that time, Horton has become familiar with the Patriots' style of play and feels that his defense knows what to expect.
"They are not going to surprise us, they are not going to fool us," Horton said. "They are being well-respected in our building going up there."
New England's simple style of play makes them easy to prepare for, but it is also what makes them tough to beat.
"They just figure we will beat you because we are better than you and we know what we are doing," Horton said. "You got to disrupt them, you've got to hit them, you've got to hit the quarterback. If you don't make it uncomfortable for them, it's like seven-on-seven."
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?