Updated Sep 14, 2012 - 2:19 pm
Horton: Patriots a 'measuring stick game' for Cards
"It's going to be a fantastic challenge for our guys," Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "They are well-coached, well-disciplined, they don't make mistakes and they don't beat themselves."
Horton feels that this game will teach his team a lot about where they stand.
"It's really just a measuring stick game of where are we," Horton said. "That team up there have been a perennial Super Bowl and AFC East champions, day in and day out. We are trying to build that here."
Horton worked with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2004 to 2010 and during that time he coached in many "epic" battles against New England.
During that time, Horton has become familiar with the Patriots' style of play and feels that his defense knows what to expect.
"They are not going to surprise us, they are not going to fool us," Horton said. "They are being well-respected in our building going up there."
New England's simple style of play makes them easy to prepare for, but it is also what makes them tough to beat.
"They just figure we will beat you because we are better than you and we know what we are doing," Horton said. "You got to disrupt them, you've got to hit them, you've got to hit the quarterback. If you don't make it uncomfortable for them, it's like seven-on-seven."
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.