Updated Sep 4, 2012 - 5:55 pm
Whisenhunt not surprised Russell Wilson starting for Seahawks
Six weeks ago, most around the league would have expected a quarterback matchup featuring Kevin Kolb for the Cardinals and Matt Flynn for Seattle. But that won't happen.
Despite the fact that the two franchises signed those quarterbacks to deals totaling a potential $89 million, they'll both be on the sidelines. John Skelton is, of course, the opening day starter for the Cardinals, while Russell Wilson, a 5-foot-11 rookie from Wisconsin (via North Carolina State) won the Seahawks' quarterback competition.
Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt, a guest of Doug and Wolf Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620, is not shocked that the rookie will be at Seattle's controls Sunday.
Wilson started two of Seattle's four preseason games, completing 40-of-63 passes for 536 yards and five touchdowns. He threw only one interception, and boasted a QB rating of 110.28. Not too shabby.
"There's a little bit of the unknown because we've seen him in the preseason and I'm sure there's some wrinkles that they've got offensively that they haven't shown, but we've got some wrinkles too, and hopefully ours will work okay," Whisenhunt said.
Some of those unknown wrinkles Whisenhunt was referring to could feature Wilson's running ability. The rookie ran for 150 yards and a touchdown on only 10 carries in the preseason. In his four-year college career, Wilson ran for 1,421 yards and 23 touchdowns, so the Cardinals offense will have to guard against him making plays with his legs as well as his throwing arm.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.