Whisenhunt not surprised Russell Wilson starting for Seahawks
Six weeks ago, most around the league would have expected a quarterback matchup featuring Kevin Kolb for the Cardinals and Matt Flynn for Seattle. But that won't happen.
Despite the fact that the two franchises signed those quarterbacks to deals totaling a potential $89 million, they'll both be on the sidelines. John Skelton is, of course, the opening day starter for the Cardinals, while Russell Wilson, a 5-foot-11 rookie from Wisconsin (via North Carolina State) won the Seahawks' quarterback competition.
Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt, a guest of Doug and Wolf Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620, is not shocked that the rookie will be at Seattle's controls Sunday.
Wilson started two of Seattle's four preseason games, completing 40-of-63 passes for 536 yards and five touchdowns. He threw only one interception, and boasted a QB rating of 110.28. Not too shabby.
"There's a little bit of the unknown because we've seen him in the preseason and I'm sure there's some wrinkles that they've got offensively that they haven't shown, but we've got some wrinkles too, and hopefully ours will work okay," Whisenhunt said.
Some of those unknown wrinkles Whisenhunt was referring to could feature Wilson's running ability. The rookie ran for 150 yards and a touchdown on only 10 carries in the preseason. In his four-year college career, Wilson ran for 1,421 yards and 23 touchdowns, so the Cardinals offense will have to guard against him making plays with his legs as well as his throwing arm.
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br