Updated Sep 4, 2012 - 5:55 pm
Whisenhunt not surprised Russell Wilson starting for Seahawks
Six weeks ago, most around the league would have expected a quarterback matchup featuring Kevin Kolb for the Cardinals and Matt Flynn for Seattle. But that won't happen.
Despite the fact that the two franchises signed those quarterbacks to deals totaling a potential $89 million, they'll both be on the sidelines. John Skelton is, of course, the opening day starter for the Cardinals, while Russell Wilson, a 5-foot-11 rookie from Wisconsin (via North Carolina State) won the Seahawks' quarterback competition.
Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt, a guest of Doug and Wolf Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620, is not shocked that the rookie will be at Seattle's controls Sunday.
Wilson started two of Seattle's four preseason games, completing 40-of-63 passes for 536 yards and five touchdowns. He threw only one interception, and boasted a QB rating of 110.28. Not too shabby.
"There's a little bit of the unknown because we've seen him in the preseason and I'm sure there's some wrinkles that they've got offensively that they haven't shown, but we've got some wrinkles too, and hopefully ours will work okay," Whisenhunt said.
Some of those unknown wrinkles Whisenhunt was referring to could feature Wilson's running ability. The rookie ran for 150 yards and a touchdown on only 10 carries in the preseason. In his four-year college career, Wilson ran for 1,421 yards and 23 touchdowns, so the Cardinals offense will have to guard against him making plays with his legs as well as his throwing arm.
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.