Updated Aug 28, 2012 - 11:35 am
Still no resolution to Arizona Cardinals QB competition
It will be the last game he starts for a while.
Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday he has not yet made a decision on who the team's starting quarterback will be Week 1 against Seattle, thereby prolonging one of the more intriguing and frustrating story lines of camp.
Who will it be, Kevin Kolb or John Skelton? It appears they have just about wrapped up making their respective cases, as neither is expected to play in the team's preseason finale in large part because Denver is not expected to play its starters much.
"As far as evaluation of the quarterbacks, in trying to make it a level playing field as for the number of reps and who they're playing against, I don't know how much that would serve with John or Kevin out of this game," Whisenhunt said.
Instead the Cardinals will continue to take a look at the two in practice this week, and while Whisenhunt said he knows there are a lot of people looking for an answer, he simply does not have one at this time.
"I still think we have opportunities to evaluate the players and we're going to do that," he said. "And when we feel like we've made a decision we'll let you know."
So Lindley, a sixth-round pick out of San Diego State, will get the start, with Richard Bartel also seeing time in the game. The head coach made sure to let everyone know that there is nothing the rookie could do to supplant either of the two front runners.
Along with Lindley, running back William Powell and linebacker Reggie Walker are set to play a substantial amount of snaps, with the coaching staff hoping to see more of players who have done well this preseason.
"One of the knocks that you hear about those type of players is you don't get a chance to see them with your good players or against good players," Whisenhunt said. "So this is an opportunity for us, in a situation like this with a fifth preseason game, where we're going to get a chance to evaluate them with our good players against some of Denver's starters."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?