Updated Aug 24, 2012 - 5:26 pm
Arizona Cardinals coach has no decision on quarterbacks
The Cardinals coach, roughly 12 hours after his team arrived in the Valley following a preseason tilt with the Titans, gave no indication that anything has been decided.
"I don't really know right now," he said when asked if there's any change in how the quarterback situation will be approached this week. "Each of them have gotten two starts, obviously, but that's something that we're going to think about going into this game."
The game Whisenhunt is referring to is next Thursday's matchup with the Denver Broncos. It will be the Cards' fifth preseason game, and that they have not figured out the most important position on the field is cause for concern.
But Whisenhunt said a lot will go into the decision, so it's not a simple as just seeing who plays better next Thursday.
"We've still got some practice days left," the coach noted, adding that there is still time for competitive practices against the defense. "A lot of it's how they respond to their corrections from the game this week and the games the week before.
"There's a lot of things that go into it."
Part of that is how his QBs respond from their mistakes. Whisenhunt said Kolb responded well not only from his outing against the Raiders, which prompted an opposing defensive lineman to question his toughness, but how he battled back from turnovers Thursday night.
"Kevin obviously had a lot going on last week," Whisenhunt said. "And I thought he responded like a pro to us."
Still, the head coach was not pleased with how many times his team turned the ball over. John Skelton was intercepted once, Kevin Kolb was picked off twice, and both Ryan Lindley and Jaymar Johnson lost fumbles.
"The one thing we've got to get corrected," Whisenhunt said, "Is we can't turn the football over. The reason we didn't win the game [Thursday] night was because we turned the football over, and that's not going to cut it going forward."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!