Updated Aug 24, 2012 - 5:26 pm
Arizona Cardinals coach has no decision on quarterbacks
The Cardinals coach, roughly 12 hours after his team arrived in the Valley following a preseason tilt with the Titans, gave no indication that anything has been decided.
"I don't really know right now," he said when asked if there's any change in how the quarterback situation will be approached this week. "Each of them have gotten two starts, obviously, but that's something that we're going to think about going into this game."
The game Whisenhunt is referring to is next Thursday's matchup with the Denver Broncos. It will be the Cards' fifth preseason game, and that they have not figured out the most important position on the field is cause for concern.
But Whisenhunt said a lot will go into the decision, so it's not a simple as just seeing who plays better next Thursday.
"We've still got some practice days left," the coach noted, adding that there is still time for competitive practices against the defense. "A lot of it's how they respond to their corrections from the game this week and the games the week before.
"There's a lot of things that go into it."
Part of that is how his QBs respond from their mistakes. Whisenhunt said Kolb responded well not only from his outing against the Raiders, which prompted an opposing defensive lineman to question his toughness, but how he battled back from turnovers Thursday night.
"Kevin obviously had a lot going on last week," Whisenhunt said. "And I thought he responded like a pro to us."
Still, the head coach was not pleased with how many times his team turned the ball over. John Skelton was intercepted once, Kevin Kolb was picked off twice, and both Ryan Lindley and Jaymar Johnson lost fumbles.
"The one thing we've got to get corrected," Whisenhunt said, "Is we can't turn the football over. The reason we didn't win the game [Thursday] night was because we turned the football over, and that's not going to cut it going forward."
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?