Updated May 3, 2012 - 3:34 pm
Bobby Massie is 'the prototypical right tackle'
Bobby Massie, who they selected out of Mississippi, was projected to go as high as the second round. That he fell to the Cardinals in the fourth is a gift the team was happy to receive.
"You don't find 6'6", 325 lb lineman with athleticism and long arms growing on trees," newly-appointed Vice President of Player Personnel Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "We were fortunate to find that he was still available at pick 112."
The offensive line has long been a concern for the team, and many were shocked they didn't address the position early in the draft.
The Cardinals instead kept true to their draft board, landing them players like Michael Floyd and Jamell Fleming prior to nabbing Massie.
But, if the tackle is as good as the team thinks he can be, they'll have themselves a bookend for many years to come, possibly even at left tackle -- but that would be down the road.
"He certainly has the mobility and the movement skills that rival many of the offensive tackles that I've seen play on the left side at our level," Keim said. "So I certainly wouldn't count it out, but I think to bring him in right away, he's the prototypical right tackle.
"He's long, he engulfs people at the point, he's got a degree of explosiveness through his hips. He's a fun guy to watch."
The Cardinals may be banking on watching Massie play this season, as there's a good chance he'll be needed to replace former right tackle Brandon Keith.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.