Updated May 3, 2012 - 3:34 pm
Bobby Massie is 'the prototypical right tackle'
Bobby Massie, who they selected out of Mississippi, was projected to go as high as the second round. That he fell to the Cardinals in the fourth is a gift the team was happy to receive.
"You don't find 6'6", 325 lb lineman with athleticism and long arms growing on trees," newly-appointed Vice President of Player Personnel Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "We were fortunate to find that he was still available at pick 112."
The offensive line has long been a concern for the team, and many were shocked they didn't address the position early in the draft.
The Cardinals instead kept true to their draft board, landing them players like Michael Floyd and Jamell Fleming prior to nabbing Massie.
But, if the tackle is as good as the team thinks he can be, they'll have themselves a bookend for many years to come, possibly even at left tackle -- but that would be down the road.
"He certainly has the mobility and the movement skills that rival many of the offensive tackles that I've seen play on the left side at our level," Keim said. "So I certainly wouldn't count it out, but I think to bring him in right away, he's the prototypical right tackle.
"He's long, he engulfs people at the point, he's got a degree of explosiveness through his hips. He's a fun guy to watch."
The Cardinals may be banking on watching Massie play this season, as there's a good chance he'll be needed to replace former right tackle Brandon Keith.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up