Updated May 3, 2012 - 3:34 pm
Bobby Massie is 'the prototypical right tackle'
Bobby Massie, who they selected out of Mississippi, was projected to go as high as the second round. That he fell to the Cardinals in the fourth is a gift the team was happy to receive.
"You don't find 6'6", 325 lb lineman with athleticism and long arms growing on trees," newly-appointed Vice President of Player Personnel Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "We were fortunate to find that he was still available at pick 112."
The offensive line has long been a concern for the team, and many were shocked they didn't address the position early in the draft.
The Cardinals instead kept true to their draft board, landing them players like Michael Floyd and Jamell Fleming prior to nabbing Massie.
But, if the tackle is as good as the team thinks he can be, they'll have themselves a bookend for many years to come, possibly even at left tackle -- but that would be down the road.
"He certainly has the mobility and the movement skills that rival many of the offensive tackles that I've seen play on the left side at our level," Keim said. "So I certainly wouldn't count it out, but I think to bring him in right away, he's the prototypical right tackle.
"He's long, he engulfs people at the point, he's got a degree of explosiveness through his hips. He's a fun guy to watch."
The Cardinals may be banking on watching Massie play this season, as there's a good chance he'll be needed to replace former right tackle Brandon Keith.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!