Updated Mar 16, 2012 - 5:10 pm
Clayton: Kolb's next move is to gain back trust
Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt stated that they'll go into next season deciding between Kevin Kolb and John Skelton for the starting spot, just like last year.
But more pressure is on Kolb, who was chosen as a starter last season and whose future with the team was up in the air when the Cards waited to give him a $7 million roster bonus.
Instead of just focusing on getting back into playing form, Kolb has additional work to do.
ESPN's John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that Kolb's next move should be earning back the trust of the franchise and his teammates.
"Now Kevin's got to, I think, win back the organization and win back the locker room," Clayton said. "He's never had an offseason to work with the Cardinals. Now he'll have that, but I think what it does show is that there are some questions in the organization's mind whether this was a good move or not."
In Kolb's first season with the Cardinals coming from the Eagles, he posted a 2-6 record, and could only watch as his backup Skelton led the team to six wins. Kolb completed 59.4% of his passes while throwing for 1,955 yards last season in limited action.
Though it may seem that the Cardinals are moving on from the Manning saga, Clayton said that everything is probably not okay between Kolb and the organization.
"You can see that there are some questions that I guess the organization has or they wouldn't take the rare opportunity to go for Peyton Manning, and they were all in on Peyton. So now, not getting him, it's like ‘okay let's patch things up; you get your $7 million,'" Clayton said. "They're going to naturally, by giving him the $7 million, say ‘everything's great,' but still you have to see some doubt with the way they handle things."
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.