Updated Feb 7, 2014 - 7:47 am
American freestyler out with broken leg
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia (AP) - American Heidi Kloser had to pull out of the Olympics after injuring her right leg during a training run before moguls qualifying.
Kloser tore knee ligaments and broke her femur following a crash Thursday night, only moments before she was supposed to head to the starting gate.
Kloser's father, Mike, posting on his Facebook page, said Heidi asked him if he still considered her an Olympian even though she didn't make it to the starting line in her first games.
"We said, of course she is," Mike Kloser wrote.
The 21-year-old Kloser was fourth in the World Cup standings coming into the Olympics.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- It’s Paul’s Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday February 24Zack Greinke doesn’t want to go down under.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi - Friday February 21Has it really been 25 years, Bill and Ted?
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Friday February 21George Gosbee checks in from the Winter Olympics.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday February 20How is Russia coping with yesterday's hockey loss?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday February 19Coyotes captain Shane Doan talks Olympic hockey.