Question and Declare: ASU/Stanford - What's the key to victory?
A lot of very intelligent responses, but no one said the name that concerns me.
Obviously, Ty Montgomery is dependent on 10 other people doing their job, but I think he's the key.
Montgomery is, in my opinion, the best special teams returner in the country. ASU excels in so many areas of the game but not special teams. With Stanford on the road-- where they are, by far, a weaker team than at home -- I think ASU is the better team in most aspects of football but it's marginal. If Montgomery is scoring special teams points or giving Stanford short fields, that marginal advantage for ASU is gone.
A successful Montgomery on special teams means Stanford wins the Pac-12 again. I'm confident ASU will win in the other phases of the game if they're not getting railroaded on special teams.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.