Question and Declare: ASU/Stanford - What's the key to victory?
A lot of very intelligent responses, but no one said the name that concerns me.
Obviously, Ty Montgomery is dependent on 10 other people doing their job, but I think he's the key.
Montgomery is, in my opinion, the best special teams returner in the country. ASU excels in so many areas of the game but not special teams. With Stanford on the road-- where they are, by far, a weaker team than at home -- I think ASU is the better team in most aspects of football but it's marginal. If Montgomery is scoring special teams points or giving Stanford short fields, that marginal advantage for ASU is gone.
A successful Montgomery on special teams means Stanford wins the Pac-12 again. I'm confident ASU will win in the other phases of the game if they're not getting railroaded on special teams.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.