Ice Bites: Defense a trouble area for Coyotes
It's time to face the facts: The Phoenix Coyotes aren't the same defensive team they've been over the past few seasons.
That was on display Saturday as the team lost its first game in regulation thanks to the Anaheim Ducks. That was followed by Monday's showing in Nashville, where the Predators jumped out to a 3-0 lead.
The defensive issues for the Coyotes are complex. One change won't be enough to fix the issue. Players are dropping assignments, which is leading to Mike Smith seeing more shots, which is leading to more goals being scored.
But the biggest problem on the Coyotes blue line? Well, you'll just have to watch and see.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.