Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 2:41 pm
Ice Bites: Coyotes turning power play to their advantage
Something odd is happening over at Jobing.com Arena: The Phoenix Coyotes are actually scoring on the power play.
I know it sounds impossible but stay with me here. Believe it or not, National Hockey League stats put the Coyotes at the 11th-best power play in the league with a success rate that exceeds 20 percent. Not too shabby.
And few are enjoying the improved power play that assistant coach Newell Brown, who was brought in to focus on special teams, Shane Doan, whose five power play goals are tied for second in the NHL and Keith Yandle, whose eight power play assists are second in the NHL.
It's still early, but the Coyotes are less than 10 power play goals away from tying their mark of 25 set in 48 games last season. They'll beat it this year.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.