Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 2:41 pm
Ice Bites: Coyotes turning power play to their advantage
Something odd is happening over at Jobing.com Arena: The Phoenix Coyotes are actually scoring on the power play.
I know it sounds impossible but stay with me here. Believe it or not, National Hockey League stats put the Coyotes at the 11th-best power play in the league with a success rate that exceeds 20 percent. Not too shabby.
And few are enjoying the improved power play that assistant coach Newell Brown, who was brought in to focus on special teams, Shane Doan, whose five power play goals are tied for second in the NHL and Keith Yandle, whose eight power play assists are second in the NHL.
It's still early, but the Coyotes are less than 10 power play goals away from tying their mark of 25 set in 48 games last season. They'll beat it this year.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.