Updated Oct 1, 2013 - 1:41 pm
Venom Vision: Stagnancy, not grit the theme of 2013 D-backs
The Arizona Diamondbacks of 2013 won't be remembered by their grit. Nope, they'll be remembered for their remarkable consistency.
Longest winning streak: Five games
Longest losing streak: Five games
Times they won three or more in a row: 11
Times they lost three or more in a row: 12
Home record: 45-36
Road record 36-45
Record vs. RHP: 56-58
Record vs. LHP: 25-23
Day record: 23-22
Night record: 58-59
I could go on and on with the stats, but the point is they were a model of consistency…a model of consistency that points to being stagnant. And in sports, the 'S' word is one of the worst possible things a team can be.
If there's anything we've learned from this year's squad, it's that they're the equivalent of a B-/C+ movie. You'll go see it if there's nothing else out, but the plot isn't all that original and it's not exactly going to garner any Academy Awards. The D-backs might have had their moments in 2013, but in the end they suffered the same fate as four of the previous five teams did. Another year left out in the cold come October.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.