Updated Sep 17, 2013 - 3:41 pm
Venom Vision: Closer options for the 2014 season
As mentioned last week, aging arms J.J. Putz and Heath Bell -- and their combined 12 blown saves -- will be on the payroll next season. But based on durability concerns and recent performance, it's hard to believe either will be major candidates to be the team's ninth-inning guy in 2014.
So if it's not them, then who?
Maybe it's Brad Ziegler, who has 11 saves in 13 chances since taking over the role on a full-time basis in July. He doesn't throw hard, but he induces a lot of ground ball outs and it takes a lot to score on him.
Maybe it's David Hernandez, the long-rumored closer of the future. He's battled command issues most of the season to the point he was sent down to Triple-A in August. However, since being called back up on Sept. 1, the 28-year-old has thrown seven scoreless innings with just two walks and two hits allowed.
Or maybe it's 23-year-old Matt Stites. The right-handed reliever was acquired in the Ian Kennedy deal, and he's been awesome in the minor leagues. In 2011, he had an ERA of 0.74 with 60 strikeouts in 48.2 innings. This season, he has an ERA just over two with 14 saves and nearly a strikeout per inning. D-backs scout Bill Gayton compared him to the Braves' Craig Kimbrel, and whether he starts next season on the 25-man roster or not, Stites is certainly a guy to keep your eye on.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.