Updated Sep 17, 2013 - 3:41 pm
Venom Vision: Closer options for the 2014 season
As mentioned last week, aging arms J.J. Putz and Heath Bell -- and their combined 12 blown saves -- will be on the payroll next season. But based on durability concerns and recent performance, it's hard to believe either will be major candidates to be the team's ninth-inning guy in 2014.
So if it's not them, then who?
Maybe it's Brad Ziegler, who has 11 saves in 13 chances since taking over the role on a full-time basis in July. He doesn't throw hard, but he induces a lot of ground ball outs and it takes a lot to score on him.
Maybe it's David Hernandez, the long-rumored closer of the future. He's battled command issues most of the season to the point he was sent down to Triple-A in August. However, since being called back up on Sept. 1, the 28-year-old has thrown seven scoreless innings with just two walks and two hits allowed.
Or maybe it's 23-year-old Matt Stites. The right-handed reliever was acquired in the Ian Kennedy deal, and he's been awesome in the minor leagues. In 2011, he had an ERA of 0.74 with 60 strikeouts in 48.2 innings. This season, he has an ERA just over two with 14 saves and nearly a strikeout per inning. D-backs scout Bill Gayton compared him to the Braves' Craig Kimbrel, and whether he starts next season on the 25-man roster or not, Stites is certainly a guy to keep your eye on.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.