Updated Sep 17, 2013 - 3:41 pm
Venom Vision: Closer options for the 2014 season
As mentioned last week, aging arms J.J. Putz and Heath Bell -- and their combined 12 blown saves -- will be on the payroll next season. But based on durability concerns and recent performance, it's hard to believe either will be major candidates to be the team's ninth-inning guy in 2014.
So if it's not them, then who?
Maybe it's Brad Ziegler, who has 11 saves in 13 chances since taking over the role on a full-time basis in July. He doesn't throw hard, but he induces a lot of ground ball outs and it takes a lot to score on him.
Maybe it's David Hernandez, the long-rumored closer of the future. He's battled command issues most of the season to the point he was sent down to Triple-A in August. However, since being called back up on Sept. 1, the 28-year-old has thrown seven scoreless innings with just two walks and two hits allowed.
Or maybe it's 23-year-old Matt Stites. The right-handed reliever was acquired in the Ian Kennedy deal, and he's been awesome in the minor leagues. In 2011, he had an ERA of 0.74 with 60 strikeouts in 48.2 innings. This season, he has an ERA just over two with 14 saves and nearly a strikeout per inning. D-backs scout Bill Gayton compared him to the Braves' Craig Kimbrel, and whether he starts next season on the 25-man roster or not, Stites is certainly a guy to keep your eye on.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.