Venom Vision: Three offseason moves that didn't pan out for the Diamondbacks
1. The acquisition of Heath Bell - The Oct. 21 trade that sent Chris Young to Oakland and Yordy Cabrera to Miami in exchange for Bell, 35, and Cliff Pennington didn't seem to be a terrible move at first glance. But when looking a little closer at the dollars and cents, it made absolutely no sense. While the Marlins agreed to pay $8 million of the remaining $21 million on Bell's contract, that's still a ton of money for a seventh-inning guy. To his credit, Bell has been durable, pitching in 64 games to date. However, that's been good for everyone but Arizona. The three-time All-Star has allowed 12 home runs and owns a 7.33 ERA at Chase Field. It's safe to say his better days are way, way behind him.
2. Extending J.J. Putz - The other big bullpen move the D-backs made involved signing Putz to an extension through 2014 worth $13.5 million. Putz had 32 saves and an ERA under 3.00 in 2012, but he's no spring chicken anymore. Investing that kind of money in an aging closer not named Mariano Rivera isn't a wise decision. Why, you ask? Well, look at Putz's season in 2013. The 36-year-old has six saves, five blown saves and lost his closer role months ago.
3. Signing Cody Ross to a big deal - As far as locker room guys go, Cody Ross is as good as they get. But paying him $26 million over three years to join an already crowded outfield, well, that was a head-scratcher. Maybe it allowed the front office to justify shipping out Justin Upton, I don't know. But paying big money to a 32-year-old who had a grand total of eight home runs and 38 RBI before suffering a season-ending injury last month, well, that's hard to justify.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.