Venom Vision: Three offseason moves that didn't pan out for the Diamondbacks
1. The acquisition of Heath Bell - The Oct. 21 trade that sent Chris Young to Oakland and Yordy Cabrera to Miami in exchange for Bell, 35, and Cliff Pennington didn't seem to be a terrible move at first glance. But when looking a little closer at the dollars and cents, it made absolutely no sense. While the Marlins agreed to pay $8 million of the remaining $21 million on Bell's contract, that's still a ton of money for a seventh-inning guy. To his credit, Bell has been durable, pitching in 64 games to date. However, that's been good for everyone but Arizona. The three-time All-Star has allowed 12 home runs and owns a 7.33 ERA at Chase Field. It's safe to say his better days are way, way behind him.
2. Extending J.J. Putz - The other big bullpen move the D-backs made involved signing Putz to an extension through 2014 worth $13.5 million. Putz had 32 saves and an ERA under 3.00 in 2012, but he's no spring chicken anymore. Investing that kind of money in an aging closer not named Mariano Rivera isn't a wise decision. Why, you ask? Well, look at Putz's season in 2013. The 36-year-old has six saves, five blown saves and lost his closer role months ago.
3. Signing Cody Ross to a big deal - As far as locker room guys go, Cody Ross is as good as they get. But paying him $26 million over three years to join an already crowded outfield, well, that was a head-scratcher. Maybe it allowed the front office to justify shipping out Justin Upton, I don't know. But paying big money to a 32-year-old who had a grand total of eight home runs and 38 RBI before suffering a season-ending injury last month, well, that's hard to justify.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.