Venom Vision: Three offseason moves that didn't pan out for the Diamondbacks
1. The acquisition of Heath Bell - The Oct. 21 trade that sent Chris Young to Oakland and Yordy Cabrera to Miami in exchange for Bell, 35, and Cliff Pennington didn't seem to be a terrible move at first glance. But when looking a little closer at the dollars and cents, it made absolutely no sense. While the Marlins agreed to pay $8 million of the remaining $21 million on Bell's contract, that's still a ton of money for a seventh-inning guy. To his credit, Bell has been durable, pitching in 64 games to date. However, that's been good for everyone but Arizona. The three-time All-Star has allowed 12 home runs and owns a 7.33 ERA at Chase Field. It's safe to say his better days are way, way behind him.
2. Extending J.J. Putz - The other big bullpen move the D-backs made involved signing Putz to an extension through 2014 worth $13.5 million. Putz had 32 saves and an ERA under 3.00 in 2012, but he's no spring chicken anymore. Investing that kind of money in an aging closer not named Mariano Rivera isn't a wise decision. Why, you ask? Well, look at Putz's season in 2013. The 36-year-old has six saves, five blown saves and lost his closer role months ago.
3. Signing Cody Ross to a big deal - As far as locker room guys go, Cody Ross is as good as they get. But paying him $26 million over three years to join an already crowded outfield, well, that was a head-scratcher. Maybe it allowed the front office to justify shipping out Justin Upton, I don't know. But paying big money to a 32-year-old who had a grand total of eight home runs and 38 RBI before suffering a season-ending injury last month, well, that's hard to justify.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.