Updated Sep 3, 2013 - 2:08 pm
Venom Vision: Who is Patrick Corbin?
That leads me to All-Star Patrick Corbin. Corbin began the season 12-1 but is just 1-4 in his last seven starts, with 25 earned runs allowed. So who is the left-hander, is he the dominant pitcher who was being mentioned with Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey earlier this season? Or is he the undependable guy who can't seem to buy a win of late?
The truth is he's neither. He's not an ace, and he's not a back-end of the rotation guy. When the chips eventually fall, odds are he's more likely a No. 2 pitcher. And frankly there's nothing wrong with that. No. 2 guys can compete for a Cy Young Award or two, they can go to All-Star games, heck they can help lead a staff to a World Series. Just ask Andy Pettitte.
Recent history aside -- and frankly I attribute a lot of that to a 23-year-old being mentally and physically fatigued from having to be the man for so long this season -- but that aside, Corbin will be a very good pitcher in this league for a long time. He has a mastery of the first-pitch strike, a sinker that continues to improve and a slider that might be among the best out-pitches any pitcher in the National League has.
But just remember, those qualities don't necessarily make him an ace.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.