Updated Sep 3, 2013 - 2:08 pm
Venom Vision: Who is Patrick Corbin?
That leads me to All-Star Patrick Corbin. Corbin began the season 12-1 but is just 1-4 in his last seven starts, with 25 earned runs allowed. So who is the left-hander, is he the dominant pitcher who was being mentioned with Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey earlier this season? Or is he the undependable guy who can't seem to buy a win of late?
The truth is he's neither. He's not an ace, and he's not a back-end of the rotation guy. When the chips eventually fall, odds are he's more likely a No. 2 pitcher. And frankly there's nothing wrong with that. No. 2 guys can compete for a Cy Young Award or two, they can go to All-Star games, heck they can help lead a staff to a World Series. Just ask Andy Pettitte.
Recent history aside -- and frankly I attribute a lot of that to a 23-year-old being mentally and physically fatigued from having to be the man for so long this season -- but that aside, Corbin will be a very good pitcher in this league for a long time. He has a mastery of the first-pitch strike, a sinker that continues to improve and a slider that might be among the best out-pitches any pitcher in the National League has.
But just remember, those qualities don't necessarily make him an ace.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.