Updated Sep 3, 2013 - 2:08 pm
Venom Vision: Who is Patrick Corbin?
That leads me to All-Star Patrick Corbin. Corbin began the season 12-1 but is just 1-4 in his last seven starts, with 25 earned runs allowed. So who is the left-hander, is he the dominant pitcher who was being mentioned with Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey earlier this season? Or is he the undependable guy who can't seem to buy a win of late?
The truth is he's neither. He's not an ace, and he's not a back-end of the rotation guy. When the chips eventually fall, odds are he's more likely a No. 2 pitcher. And frankly there's nothing wrong with that. No. 2 guys can compete for a Cy Young Award or two, they can go to All-Star games, heck they can help lead a staff to a World Series. Just ask Andy Pettitte.
Recent history aside -- and frankly I attribute a lot of that to a 23-year-old being mentally and physically fatigued from having to be the man for so long this season -- but that aside, Corbin will be a very good pitcher in this league for a long time. He has a mastery of the first-pitch strike, a sinker that continues to improve and a slider that might be among the best out-pitches any pitcher in the National League has.
But just remember, those qualities don't necessarily make him an ace.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Mark Trumbo to Diamondbacks in 3-team trade
- Mark Trumbo looking forward to new opportunity with Arizona Diamondbacks
- In final year of Gibson, Towers' contracts, D-backs going all in
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.