Venom Vision: It's time to play Matt Davidson
When the Arizona Diamondbacks won the National League West in 2007, they did so with a 19-year-old right fielder playing 43 games over the final two months of the season. Justin Upton struggled at times (two home runs and 11 RBI), but he still managed to give the team the lift it needed.
In 2011, the D-backs once again relied on a rookie to help carrying them to the postseason. That year, a 23-year-old first baseman named Paul Goldschmidt hit eight home runs and 26 RBI in 48 games en route to a division crown.
Now it's time for the organization to put that same faith in 22-year-old Matt Davidson.
The Futures Game MVP hit 16 home runs and 60 RBI with the Reno Aces this season and given the untimely injuries to Eric Chavez and Cody Ross, Kirk Gibson in my mind has no choice but to play him at third base and Martin Prado in left field just about every day at this point.
I know that might take away some playing time from a veteran like Jason Kubel, but when you call up a kid with the pedigree of Davidson it's a waste to keep him idle on the bench.
It worked for Upton and Goldschmidt, who's to say the D-backs can't catch lightning in a bottle one more time?
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.