Venom Vision: It's time to play Matt Davidson
When the Arizona Diamondbacks won the National League West in 2007, they did so with a 19-year-old right fielder playing 43 games over the final two months of the season. Justin Upton struggled at times (two home runs and 11 RBI), but he still managed to give the team the lift it needed.
In 2011, the D-backs once again relied on a rookie to help carrying them to the postseason. That year, a 23-year-old first baseman named Paul Goldschmidt hit eight home runs and 26 RBI in 48 games en route to a division crown.
Now it's time for the organization to put that same faith in 22-year-old Matt Davidson.
The Futures Game MVP hit 16 home runs and 60 RBI with the Reno Aces this season and given the untimely injuries to Eric Chavez and Cody Ross, Kirk Gibson in my mind has no choice but to play him at third base and Martin Prado in left field just about every day at this point.
I know that might take away some playing time from a veteran like Jason Kubel, but when you call up a kid with the pedigree of Davidson it's a waste to keep him idle on the bench.
It worked for Upton and Goldschmidt, who's to say the D-backs can't catch lightning in a bottle one more time?
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.