Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 4:10 pm
Venom Vision: Left-handed relief options
Kevin Towers and the trade deadline would seem to be a match made in heaven, but not this season. After making a number of moves this offseason, the Arizona Diamondbacks general manager told the media Sunday that he likes the guys he has in the clubhouse and that the only area he's really targeting going into Wednesday's deadline is left-handed relief opposite Tony Sipp.
While there's been some buzz surrounding the team's potential interest in right-handed reliever Brian Wilson, now that he's off market, here's three names -- of the left-handed variety -- that Towers might want to consider.
James Russell (Cubs): Russell, the son of former MLB closer Jeff Russell, is just 27 years old and has two more years under contract. He's a reliever who has gotten better with age and lefties are hitting just .179 off of him.
Antonio Bastardo (Phillies): Like Russell, Bastardo is 27, but he is a free agent at season's end. Lefties hit a little bit better off him to the tune of .207, but he's a hard thrower (more than a strikeout per inning) and he's made appearances in three different postseasons.
Joe Thatcher (Padres): Now it might be a bit of a pipe dream to expect Thatcher to move within the division, but the left-hander knows the division very well and has allowed just four runs in 24 appearances against the NL West in 2013. And, none of those runs came against the Dodgers. It's nice to dream but Josh Byrnes isn't likely to do his former team any favors.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.