Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 4:10 pm
Venom Vision: Left-handed relief options
Kevin Towers and the trade deadline would seem to be a match made in heaven, but not this season. After making a number of moves this offseason, the Arizona Diamondbacks general manager told the media Sunday that he likes the guys he has in the clubhouse and that the only area he's really targeting going into Wednesday's deadline is left-handed relief opposite Tony Sipp.
While there's been some buzz surrounding the team's potential interest in right-handed reliever Brian Wilson, now that he's off market, here's three names -- of the left-handed variety -- that Towers might want to consider.
James Russell (Cubs): Russell, the son of former MLB closer Jeff Russell, is just 27 years old and has two more years under contract. He's a reliever who has gotten better with age and lefties are hitting just .179 off of him.
Antonio Bastardo (Phillies): Like Russell, Bastardo is 27, but he is a free agent at season's end. Lefties hit a little bit better off him to the tune of .207, but he's a hard thrower (more than a strikeout per inning) and he's made appearances in three different postseasons.
Joe Thatcher (Padres): Now it might be a bit of a pipe dream to expect Thatcher to move within the division, but the left-hander knows the division very well and has allowed just four runs in 24 appearances against the NL West in 2013. And, none of those runs came against the Dodgers. It's nice to dream but Josh Byrnes isn't likely to do his former team any favors.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.