Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 4:10 pm
Venom Vision: Left-handed relief options
Kevin Towers and the trade deadline would seem to be a match made in heaven, but not this season. After making a number of moves this offseason, the Arizona Diamondbacks general manager told the media Sunday that he likes the guys he has in the clubhouse and that the only area he's really targeting going into Wednesday's deadline is left-handed relief opposite Tony Sipp.
While there's been some buzz surrounding the team's potential interest in right-handed reliever Brian Wilson, now that he's off market, here's three names -- of the left-handed variety -- that Towers might want to consider.
James Russell (Cubs): Russell, the son of former MLB closer Jeff Russell, is just 27 years old and has two more years under contract. He's a reliever who has gotten better with age and lefties are hitting just .179 off of him.
Antonio Bastardo (Phillies): Like Russell, Bastardo is 27, but he is a free agent at season's end. Lefties hit a little bit better off him to the tune of .207, but he's a hard thrower (more than a strikeout per inning) and he's made appearances in three different postseasons.
Joe Thatcher (Padres): Now it might be a bit of a pipe dream to expect Thatcher to move within the division, but the left-hander knows the division very well and has allowed just four runs in 24 appearances against the NL West in 2013. And, none of those runs came against the Dodgers. It's nice to dream but Josh Byrnes isn't likely to do his former team any favors.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.