Venom Vision: Trading for offense?
The problem is if GM Kevin Towers were to look for an everyday bat at this point in the year, who would he even try to replace in the lineup?
The left side of the infield (Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado) was just acquired through trades this offseason. The second baseman (Aaron Hill) just signed a three-year extension. The first baseman is an All-Star. The outfield features two Gold Glove-caliber players (A.J. Pollock and Gerardo Parra), a rookie just back from the disabled list (Adam Eaton), a player (Cody Ross) on the first year of a lucrative three-year deal and a guy (Jason Kubel) a year removed from a 30-home run season. Not to mention, the catcher (Miguel Montero) is coming off a career year and just signed a new deal last May.
Truth is, the team committed to the likes of Gregorius, Hill, Montero, Prado and Ross, whether by trade or by extension. Their struggles are well-documented and could hurt the team's chances of winning the division, but can any of them simply be replaced in the middle of a pennant race?
The fan in all of us would love to say sure. But I'm going to say not so fast.
Of the D-backs' needs, I think upgrading the offense will be the one that goes unaddressed by July 31.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.