Venom Vision: Trading for offense?
The problem is if GM Kevin Towers were to look for an everyday bat at this point in the year, who would he even try to replace in the lineup?
The left side of the infield (Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado) was just acquired through trades this offseason. The second baseman (Aaron Hill) just signed a three-year extension. The first baseman is an All-Star. The outfield features two Gold Glove-caliber players (A.J. Pollock and Gerardo Parra), a rookie just back from the disabled list (Adam Eaton), a player (Cody Ross) on the first year of a lucrative three-year deal and a guy (Jason Kubel) a year removed from a 30-home run season. Not to mention, the catcher (Miguel Montero) is coming off a career year and just signed a new deal last May.
Truth is, the team committed to the likes of Gregorius, Hill, Montero, Prado and Ross, whether by trade or by extension. Their struggles are well-documented and could hurt the team's chances of winning the division, but can any of them simply be replaced in the middle of a pennant race?
The fan in all of us would love to say sure. But I'm going to say not so fast.
Of the D-backs' needs, I think upgrading the offense will be the one that goes unaddressed by July 31.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.