Venom Vision: Trading for offense?
The problem is if GM Kevin Towers were to look for an everyday bat at this point in the year, who would he even try to replace in the lineup?
The left side of the infield (Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado) was just acquired through trades this offseason. The second baseman (Aaron Hill) just signed a three-year extension. The first baseman is an All-Star. The outfield features two Gold Glove-caliber players (A.J. Pollock and Gerardo Parra), a rookie just back from the disabled list (Adam Eaton), a player (Cody Ross) on the first year of a lucrative three-year deal and a guy (Jason Kubel) a year removed from a 30-home run season. Not to mention, the catcher (Miguel Montero) is coming off a career year and just signed a new deal last May.
Truth is, the team committed to the likes of Gregorius, Hill, Montero, Prado and Ross, whether by trade or by extension. Their struggles are well-documented and could hurt the team's chances of winning the division, but can any of them simply be replaced in the middle of a pennant race?
The fan in all of us would love to say sure. But I'm going to say not so fast.
Of the D-backs' needs, I think upgrading the offense will be the one that goes unaddressed by July 31.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.