Venom Vision: Trading for offense?
The problem is if GM Kevin Towers were to look for an everyday bat at this point in the year, who would he even try to replace in the lineup?
The left side of the infield (Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado) was just acquired through trades this offseason. The second baseman (Aaron Hill) just signed a three-year extension. The first baseman is an All-Star. The outfield features two Gold Glove-caliber players (A.J. Pollock and Gerardo Parra), a rookie just back from the disabled list (Adam Eaton), a player (Cody Ross) on the first year of a lucrative three-year deal and a guy (Jason Kubel) a year removed from a 30-home run season. Not to mention, the catcher (Miguel Montero) is coming off a career year and just signed a new deal last May.
Truth is, the team committed to the likes of Gregorius, Hill, Montero, Prado and Ross, whether by trade or by extension. Their struggles are well-documented and could hurt the team's chances of winning the division, but can any of them simply be replaced in the middle of a pennant race?
The fan in all of us would love to say sure. But I'm going to say not so fast.
Of the D-backs' needs, I think upgrading the offense will be the one that goes unaddressed by July 31.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- The Pulse: D-backs having most disappointing April
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.