Updated Jun 26, 2013 - 4:01 pm
Venom Vision: Wins elude starters
But the number itself isn't all that meaningful when you take into account that they've also lost 11 games in which they've scored just one run, not to mention team has been dominated in recent weeks by the likes of Lance Lynn, Eric Stults, Clayton Richard and Mat Latos.
What is meaningful about the streak is simply what it stands for.
Going into the season, general manager Kevin Towers said this year's roster was filled with players who would never give up on an at-bat regardless of the score, and whether it's been Paul Goldschmidt, Miguel Montero, Jason Kubel or Josh Wilson (who isn't even on the team anymore) producing late in games to preserve the streak, that certainly has been in the case.
In the Around the Diamond Segment, another streak is put under the microscope -- this one of the negative variety.
Since Wade Miley won in St. Louis on June 5, not a single D-backs starting pitcher has recorded a victory. But while the rotation has had its fair share of struggles in June, the 17-game drought doesn't tell the whole story.
It doesn't factor in that on three separate occasions in that span Patrick Corbin pitched eight innings while only giving up a run, or that Ian Kennedy had his best two outings of the year, or that Randall Delgado's first start against the Miami Marlins on June 18 was quality with a capital Q.
The individual win is often a hallow statistic because it rewards and punishes pitchers based on factors sometimes out of their control -- lack of run support or a spotty bullpen.
The D-backs' starting pitchers don't deserve a pass because it hasn't been all that pretty, but it hasn't been as ugly as 17-straight games without a win either. Sometimes stats fail to put things in proper perspective.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.