Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 3:35 pm
Venom Vision: MLB All-Star problems
Right now, Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt trails Cincinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto in fan voting, and will likely have to be voted in as a reserve to get to Citi Field next month. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a big deal. Votto is having an exceptional year and is a former MVP, so if he gets say one more at-bat than Goldschmidt, who cares right?
On principal, Goldschmidt should be the NL starter. He has almost single-handedly (17 home runs, 62 RBI and .422 batting average with RISP) kept the D-backs in first place in the National League West and is having not just a special season, but an MVP-type season at age 25.
If the game means something and the goal is to put the best players on the field from each league to determine home field advantage, why will Goldschmidt have to start the night in the dugout? The reason is the fans.
It's not indictment of the Joe Schmo who sits on his couch voting endless amount of times, as much as it is an indictment of the league. Plain and simple, if the game counts, don't leave it up to the fans. The players/coaches have a stake in the game, they should be the only ones to vote.
And if they did, something tells me Goldschmidt would be honored with a title greater than 'America's First Baseman'. Try starting first baseman for the National League All-Star team.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.